- Discuss the major implications of the current Standards movement on mathematics instruction.
- Examine the characteristics of critical mathematics literacy instruction.
- Discuss ways mathematics discourse can position every student to identify as a math doer and cultivate a positive math identity.
- Explore the connection between a positive math identity and students’ interest, participation, and persistence in math related activities, courses and careers.
- Apply key critical mathematical literacy practices that center students’ cultural histories, lived experiences and community practices in mathematics learning experiences to a scenario.