Universal design for learning (UDL) and culturally responsive and culturally sustaining pedagogies are frameworks for eliminating barriers to learning for diverse students. The 2016 Equity Leaders Institute will provide opportunities for equity-oriented educators and community members to engage in two days of intensive collegial study, discussion, and planning for ways to utilize UDL principles and culturally responsive and culturally sustaining pedagogies in curricular planning. The 2016 Institute will focus on practical application of approaches that combine these frameworks to create inclusive learning opportunities, that center students as expert learners and leverage youth and community practices. visit the event webpages | download the tentative agenda
Teachers, and School, District, and State Administrators
Participants in this professional learning will:
- Expand and apply understandings of the features of Universal Design for Learning and culturally responsive and culturally sustaining pedagogies as equity-centered curricular and instructional practices.
- Discuss how various school systems and processes promote and constrain the ability of educators to develop and implement equity-centered curricular and instructional practices.
- Identify needs and resources for advancing organizations' capacity to implement equity-centered curricular and instructional practices.
IUPUI Campus Center
420 University Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Directions to Campus Center | Campus Center Map
Click HERE to view information about hotel reservations, parking on campus, and transportation.
Equity Leaders Institutes require that participants have some orientation to and knowledge of the targeted content. For the 2016 Institute, participants should have a basic understanding of curriculum design and instructional practices.
Individuals interested in attending an Equity Leaders Institute are asked to complete an online application. The application process allows Institute planners to gain a sense of potential participants’ areas of need and interests to inform session content and activities.
Application deadline is July 29, 2016.
Registration and Fees
Once accepted, applicants will be expected to register for the the Fall 2016 Equity Leaders Institute. Space is limited to 35 participants.
- Early Bird Registration Fee: $140.00 (May 01 - August 21, 2016)
- Late Registration Fee: $200.00 (August 21 - 31, 2016)
The 2016 Institute registration fee will cover all sessions, breakfast and lunch on both days, and materials.
Limited, need-based scholarships are available to cover the Institute's registration fee; scholarships will be provided on a first come, first serve basis.
To qualify for a scholarship you must demonstrate financial need by describing your financial hardship in a scholarship application. Applications will be reviewed and award decisions made on a rolling basis.