About the Beyond Diversity I Seminar
The Beyond Diversity seminar, updated and aligned with Courageous Conversations About Race, 2nd Edition, is designed to help teachers, students, parents, and administrators understand the impact of race on student learning and investigate the role that racism plays in institutionalizing academic achievement disparities.
Participants will be introduced to the CCAR Protocol: the 4 Agreements, 6 Conditions, and the Compass and explore the use of the Protocol when engaging in courageous conversations centered around race and racism. Attendees will engage in a thoughtful, compassionate exploration of race and racism and grapple with how each influences the culture and climate of our schools; and practice using the CCAR Protocol for identifying and addressing policies, programs, and practices that negatively impact achievement for students of color and serve as barriers for ALL students receiving a world-class education.
Enrollment is an indication that you are poised for inquiry into your own personal investment in racism and desire greater accountability surrounding your professional leadership for racial equity.
**Although not required, participants are strongly encouraged to attend the Network's Equity and Social Justice Institute prior to Beyond Diversity I to build the necessary background for courageous conversations.
As a result of participating in this seminar, attendees will:
- Engage in courageous conversations and sustained interracial dialogue about race;
- Reflect on race and racism and discover how each, through school policies, programs, and practices negatively impacts low-performing student populations;
- Develop the knowledge and skills for engaging, sustaining and deepening courageous conversations about the impact of race and racism on student achievement.
Indicators and Standards Addressed
This training specifically addresses WI State Performance Plan (SPP), Indicators 4B, 9 & 10.
Teaching Standards Addressed
- Danielson’s Components: 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 2d, 3a, 3c, 4c, 4d, 4f
- Stronge Performance Standards and Indicators: 1.3, 1.7, 1.9, 2.3, 2.5, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.7
- In-Tasc Teacher Standards: #1, 2, 3, 5, 7 & 9
The Beyond Diversity I Seminar will be facilitated by two or more of the following individuals:
Training and Supports Project Coordinator, Disproportionality Technical Assistance Network or “The Network”
Ebiere (Juliet) Cole
Beyond Diversity I Facilitator, Disproportionality Technical Assistance Network or “The Network”
Program Director - Social Justice Minor Program, University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh
Training Site and Lodging Location
Tundra Lodge Resort
865 Lombardi Ave
Green Bay, WI, 54304
Ph: (920) 405-8700
A block of rooms has been reserved at the state rate at Tundra Lodge Resort until February 6, 2018. To receive this rate, please be sure to reference the group name The Network/CESA #11 when making reservations.
Registration, Fees, and Schedule
There are no registration fees to participate in the Beyond Diversity I Seminar, but pre-registration is required.
Note: This seminar is a full 2-day training. Attendees are expected to attend both days. If you are not able to commit to full 2-day attendance, we ask that you register at a later date when your schedule allows for you to be present for both days.
- 7:30 am - 8:00 am - Registration and Continental Breakfast
- 8:00 am - 3:30 pm Institute (Both Days) - Lunch Provided
Contact Melissa Moe at (715) 986-2020, ext. 2127 or mmoe@TheNetworkWI.com.