Leading the Way Back to Love, Engagement and High Achievement for Boys and Young Men of Color
Districts that create the space for, surface and learn from the voices of boys and young men of color can eliminate the racial inequities and institutionalized practices that marginalize, criminalize and ostracize these students. Using Courageous Conversation, participants will examine ways to transform school systems into environments that nurture high-level engagement and achievement.
Participants will critically examine the data, school culture and climate that, according to Garrett Albert Duncan, renders black boys as "Beyond Love". In this one-day seminar, administrators, teachers and student support leaders will take up the challenge to intensify the support and development of boys and young men of color, to become My Brother's Keeper. Printable Flyer >>
**Completion of Beyond Diversity I is a prerequisite for this training.**
As a result of attending this seminar, participants will:
- deepen their understanding of the Black Male experience through the stories shared by the Black Male "Brain Trust" who will join participants in the two-day conversation.
- gain an understanding of the unique circumstances facing Black Males in our society.
- examine how societal patterns and experiences for Black Males plays out in schools.
- explore ways in which school systems institutionalize practices that marginalize, and perhaps criminalize Black Males.
- discover and examine ways to transform our school environments into places that nurture the spirit and foster high-level engagement and achievement of our lowest performing student population.
Tony Hudson - Equity Transformation Specialist
Courageous Conversation™ & Pacific Educational Group
These networking meetings specifically address WI State Performance Plan (SPP),Indicators 4B, 9 & 10.
Charlotte Danielson's Framework:
- Domain 1 1a, 1b
- Domain 2 2a, 2b, 2d
- Domain 3 3a, 3c
- Domain 4 4c, 4d, 4f
- 1.6, 1.7, 1.9, 1.10, 2.3, 3.1, 3.2, 5.2, 5.3, 5.5, 6.1, 6.2
InTasc Teaching Standards:
- #1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 9
A block of rooms have been reserved at the La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Bayshore Area for $103/night until May 10, 2018. Please reference "The Network" (Group ID: 1855) when making reservations.
Fees, Schedule, and Registration
There are no fees to attend this seminar,
but pre-registration is required.
- 7:30 am - 8:00 am Registration and Continental Breakfast (Provided)
- 8:00 am - 11:00 am Morning Seminar
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm Lunch (Provided)
- 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm Afternoon Seminar