The purpose of this workshop is to bring awareness to what school districts and tribal language departments or divisions are doing. The participants are given an opportunity to share and exchange information and ideas about their programming and the work they are engaged in their communities.
As a result of attending this workshop, participants will:
- share ideas and best practices around creating language activities, such as curriculum, lesson plans, resources, etc.
- analyze and discuss how to track learners' progress and comprehension (assessment) in a way that informs learners and mentors how the language course is going.
- have opportunities to share and learn from each other in networking sessions and small groups.
- have an opportunity to listen and learn about how tribal languages of the First Nations of Wisconsin are being recognized and taught at all levels through the efforts at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee and the partnership with the Indian Community School of Milwaukee.
- hear and learn about the tribal language revitalization efforts and how you can develop partnerships and support efforts to apply for language grant opportunities
- Culture Language Teachers
- Tribal Education Department Staff
- Tribal Language Division Staff
- World Language Teachers that Teach Native American Languages
- School Districts with an Interest in Promoting Native American Language
Teaching and Learning
Indian Community School of Milwaukee
10405 W. St. Martin's Road
Franklin, WI 53132
Phone: (414) 525-6100
The Disproportionality Technical Assistance Network ("The Network") grant will cover one night of lodging for individuals traveling 90 miles or more. Double occupancy is encouraged for those coming from the same agency, tribe, or district.
Please contact Judy Ross at (715) 682-2363, ext. 118, jross@TheNetworkWI.com if you have any questions.
Registration, Fees, and Schedule
There are no fees associated with this workshop,
but pre-registration is required.
- 8:30 am - 9:00 am Registration (Continental Breakfast Provided)
- 9:00 am - 11:30 am Morning Workshop
- 11:30 am - 12:30 pm Lunch (Provided)
- 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm Afternoon Workshop